In the meantime, till you are able to see the dentist you might consider the following options FOR TEMPORARY RELIEF
A toothache most of the time is due to infection and or inflammation/swelling. Anything that can reduce the infection and swelling can help to relieve the pain. Pain is excruciating most of the time.
- You might take Motrin or Tylenol extra strength over the counter as needed for pain and may alternate them to get some relief as these medicines act differently to relieve pain. Taking Motrin and Tylenol alternatively every 6 to 8 hrs as directed by the physician has the profound effect than taking just one kind. ( Be considerate of other medical conditions that you might have which can cause side effects of taking the medicine, consult your physician if you are not aware of it)
- Clove oil or Eugenol oil containing products over the counter (like CVS a pharmacy TOOTHACHE) is very soothing for the tooth that causes pain. It usually subsides pain significantly and is also a main content for lot of dental treatment medicament.
- You might want to do salt water rinse/peroxide or Listerine that can keep the area of the infected tooth as clean as possible. Usually, the infection has an acid environment where the bacteria can grow so creating a neutral or basic environment prevents the growth of bacteria.
- THINGS THAT CAN MAKE PAIN WORSE OR BETTER TO BE AVOIDED:
- DO NOT SMOKE Its not a good thing to smoke to relieve the pain. Smoking exaggerates the pain as the heat and smoke to some extent increases swelling of tissues and lets the bacteria grow further.
- DO NOT PUT HOT PACK: It’s not good to put a hot pack as it might give temporary relief as the tissue is expanding due to heat and moisture and is allowing the infection to grow easily.
- DO NOT SLEEP ON THE SAME SIDE WHERE THE TOOTH HURTS: as the pressure might help temporarily relieve the pain but it also pushes the infection to spread into the areas where there is less pressure and leading to spread of infection.
I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU TO UNDERSTAND THE ISSUES OF PAIN WITH TOOTH.